Tuesday 8 October 2019

No Means No

I've just received a phone call from an internet service provider who wanted to sell me fibre for my home. As I've just signed a two year contract for LTE, I have no plans for changing my service in the foreseeable future, so I didn't see much point in getting into a long discussion on the topic. I figured a simple "no" would suffice.

The caller had other ideas however.

"But don't you want me to explain our packages?" she asked.

I could have told her that I don't want to have a stranger coming into our house and making holes through our walls just so that we can have a faster internet service than we really need.

I could have told her that I know someone who chose to upgrade to fibre and ended up with a cracked wall for his money. And no, the installer didn't fix it!

Or I could have told her about all the frustrations I've just been through upgrading from ADSL to LTE.

Instead, when she kept trying to continue the conversation, I simply put the phone down.

I wonder what part of "no" she doesn't understand.



About three hours later I received another unwanted call.

This one claimed to be selling me insurance for our Satellite TV decoder.

Our decoder is old and sometimes unreliable, probably due for replacement, and I have no intention of insuring it, so I told the caller I wasn't interested.

Like my earlier caller, he wouldn't take no for an answer. He wanted to know WHY I didn't want insurance.

Once more I hung up.

No comments:

Post a Comment